One of the main requirements of square foot gardening seems to be the grid system. The grids should be carefully measured so that each opening is as close as possible to a square foot. Seed spacing later on will depend on having adequate space, soil, and water. Also, the grids will make it easy to identify what should be growing in each foot sized space, and what is a weed. I suppose this would help with plant control. Part of the square foot ideal is to grow less plant but produce more vegetables.
So our grids were pieces of untreated 1" x 2"s. They were 8', and we cut them in half. The pieces were .82 each and we bought 14. We had a real problem deciding how to cheaply tie the grids together. They also needed to be easy to store during the off season.
My solution was to drill two holes about 14" apart and in the middle of the boards. I secured the boards together with tent stakes from the sporting goods store. The cost at our store was $2.50 for 4. They hold well and the grids are also anchored into the dirt. At the end of the season I can pull everything up and store it as a stack of 4' boards and a bag of tent stakes.
I ran ribbon hoses before I placed the grids. The book "All New Square Foot Gardening" recommends watering a cupful at a time which really isn't an option, summer around here gets busy with kid's activities.
Eventually, when we have healthy young plants, the beds and hoses will be covered in a layer of mulch to help with weeds and grass.
A disclaimer to anyone following along: These blog entries are mostly my own records to help with my recollection for next year's garden. I am making it public just in case anyone's trying the same thing and wants to see how it works. I am no horticultural expert, just a woman with a book and a yard. Enjoy the blog, and I will try to help and answer questions as I am able.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad